Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Bye bye Caren and Carl. Bye bye crying, jackalope, riding a unicorn into the sunset velvet painting

When I passed the crying clown on my way out of the Velveteria Museum on Saturday, I paused and gave it a knowing look. The owners of this classic Portland keepsake are moving to "dryer" pastures, and taking their 2,000 velvet paintings with them. Caren and Carl are talking about the possibility of re-opening the black fuzzy palace in Ventura California.


Before I moved to Portland I read "Fugitives and Refugees, A Walk in Portland" Oregon by Chuck Palahniuk. Since I considered myself a refugee I planned to visit all the odd places in Portland that Chuck wrote about. From Voodoo doughnuts all the way to the self cleaning house in Newberg. The Velveteria was one of the many places I always assumed I would make it to sometime... I am so glad I went before they packed it all up. It was truly a must have experience. They will be greatly missed.


No comments: